Golden Globe Predictions
I haven’t seen all of them yet, but judging by winners of Golden Globe’s past, these are my predictions for winner. I’ll be doing this again for the Oscars, and there I will do my full prediction rundown (including things like my choice, dark horse, and explanations). Winner prediction is underlined.
Motion Picture - Drama
1. 12 Years a Slave *Most challenging film = win in Foreign Press’s book
2. Captain Philips
Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
1. American Hustle *Barely edges Wolf because it has a more clear message, the Foreign Press thinks.
3. Inside Llewyn Davis
5. Wolf of Wall Street
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
1. Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave) *Most challenging role in most challenging film, but it has the recognition that Mandela does not.
2. Idris Elba (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
3. Tom Hanks (Captain Philips)
4. Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)
5. Robert Redford (All is Lost)
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
1. Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) *Personally, I’d pick Sandra Bullock just because she’s the only one on screen, other than of course George Clooney playing George Clooney.
2. Sandra Bullock (Gravity)
3. Judi Dench (Philomena)
4. Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks)
5. Kate Winslet (Labor Day)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
1. Christian Bale (American Hustle)
2. Bruce Dern (Nebraska)
3. Leonardo DiCaprio (The Wolf of Wall Street)
4. Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis) *Foreign born actor playing the heart of American folk - which is American soul - searching for the American Dream? Foreign Press likes that, but they also like the older actor without any recognition i.e. Bruce Dern.
5. Joaquin Phoenix (Her)
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
1. Amy Adams (American Hustle)
2. Julie Delpy (Before Midnight) *The “Before” series is excellent, and Julie is why.
3. Greta Gerwig (Frances Ha)
4. Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Enough Said)
5. Meryl Streep (August: Osage County)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
1. Barkhad Abdi (Captain Philips)
2. Daniel Bruhl (Rush)
3. Bradley Cooper (American Hustle)
4. Michael Fassbender (12 Years a Slave)
5. Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club) *He dropped an absurd amount of weight and plays a transgender man suffering from AIDS. And he does it really well.
Best Performance by an Actress is a Supporting Role
1. Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine)
2. Jennifer Lawrence (American Hustle) *The world is infatuated with Jennifer Lawrence and so is the Foreign Press and so am I.
3. Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years A Slave)
4. Julia Roberts (August: Osage County)
5. June Squibb (Nebraska)
1. Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity)
2. Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips)
3. Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave) *Most challenging film. Even though Cuaron made the most revolutionary, and even though Scorsese and the Coen brothers are noticeably absent.
4. David O. Russell (American Hustle)
5. Alexander Payne (Nebraska)
1. John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) *Again, most challenging. Here’s to hoping though for Jonze to win what’s deserved.
2. Eric Singer, David O. Russel (American Hustle)
3. Spike Jonze (Her)
4. Bob Nelson (Nebraska)
5. Steve Coogan, Jeff Pope (Philomena)
Best Original Song
1. “Let it Go” (Frozen)
2. "Please Mr. Kennedy" (Inside Llewyn Davis) *It deserves to win something right?
3. “Atlas” (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
4. “Ordinary Love” (Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom)
5. “Sweeter Than Fiction” (One Chance)
Best Drama Series
1. Breaking Bad *The modern day Shakespeare deserves it. Next year House.
2. Downton Abbey
3. The Good Wife
4. House of Cards
5. Masters of Sex
Best Comedy Series
1. The Big Bang Theory *I strongly disagree. I just want Parks and Rec. That’s all I want.
2. Brooklyn Nine-Nine
4. Modern Family
5. Parks and Recreation
Best Mini Series
1. American Horror Story
2. Behind the Candelabra *Totally legit. Super good film.
3. Dancing on the Edge
4. Top of the Lake
5. The White Queen
Best Actor in a Television Series - Drama
1. Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) *For his role as Heisenberg, I mean Walter White, I mean…
2. Kevin Spacey (House of Cards)
3. Liev Schraber (Ray Donovan)
4. Michael Sheen (Masters of Sex)
5. James Spader (The Blacklist)
Best Actress in a Television Series - Drama
1. Robin Wright (House of Cards)
2. Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife)
3. Kerry Washington (Scandal) *Yes, she’s wonderful, but I personally worship Wright’s performances in House.
4. Tatiana Maslany (The Orphan Black)
5. Taylor Schilling (Orange is the New Black)
Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy Series
1. Don Cheadle (House of Lies) *Carries what’s arguably the funniest show on TV.
2. Jason Bateman (Arrested Development)
3. Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory)
4. Michael J. Fox (The Michael J. Fox Show)
5. Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Series
1. Lena Dunham (Girls)
2. Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie)
3. Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep) *This is kind of a loaded category isn’t it? Any of these five can and deserve to win.
4. Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation)
5. Zooey Deschanel (New Girl)
Best Actor in a Miniseries or Made-for-TV movie
1. Matt Damon (Behind the Candelabra)
2. Michael Douglas (Behind the Candelabra) *He’s Liberace for God’s sake.
3. Al Pacino (Phil Spector)
4. Idris Elba (Luther)
5. Chiwetel Ejiofor (Dancing on the Edge)
Best Actress in a Miniseries….
1. Jessica Lange (American Horror Story)
2. Helen Mirren (Phil Spector) *Disclaimer, I have nothing to base this on.
3. Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake)
4. Helena Bonham Carter (Burton and Taylor)
5. Rebecca Fergusson (The White Queen)
Best Supporting Actor on TV….
1. Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) *He’s the Hamlet of Breaking Bad, come on.
2. Jon Voight (Ray Donovan)
3. Corey Stoll (House of Cards)
4. Rob Lowe (Behind the Candelabra)
5. Josh Charles (The Good Wife)
Best Supporting Actress on TV….
1. Sofia Vergara (Modern Family) *The Modern Family love continues.
2. Janet McTeer (The White Queen)
3. Monica Potter (Parenthood)
4. Hayden Penettiere (Nashville)
5. Jacqueline Bisset (Dancing on the Edge)